Friday, January 25, 2008

Popeye, checking in

Whoa! Gozer's gotten on here twice? Gotta make my mark, I guess.

I was just going to start out with a little about myself. I'm the old gaffer on the staff here, clocking in at the ripe old age of 52. I was born the same year Bill Haley and the Comets released Rock Around The Clock. I am married, with four kids ranging in age from 27 to 11. My family and I live in the Northern, rural regions of the great state of New Hampshire.

For work, let's just say I work for the Government. In my case, it's the United States Postal Service. Been there 20 years. May make a career of it. For amusement, I like to write and play music. I'm a guitarist, folk and rock mostly. I play cover tunes in fine establishments all over the North country, and even write my own stuff from time to time. I have a CD, but you have to contact me to get a copy. Good luck with that. ;>

As Gozer and I plan to touch on politics from time to time, I guess I should tell you where I am on the spectrum. Back in '88 or so, during the primary season, Newsweek magazine did a very good, concise breakdown of the parties within the parties. Of the more than a dozen they listed, the one I felt closest to was the "God and Country Democrats." In a nutshell, it means I have a social conscience, but it leads me to vote Republican. One time somebody asked me for more detail, I told them I was a Jackson Democrat.

"You mean you like Jesse Jackson?" they replied, horrified.

"No," I said. "Andrew."

I guess there's more, but I'll leave it there for now. Stay tuned.

No comments: