Sunday, May 25, 2008

Congratulations Phoenix! You made it!

Just to reiterate, I do in fact work for NASA. So yes, I was involved with this landing, in fact I was the prime controller on the prime downlink antenna for this landing. So I know everything that happened as it happened. Which was nifty on one hand, on the other hand this wasn't the most exciting landing or event for me since Phoenix doesn't talk directly to earth, but only through a UHF relay to every other Mars bird in orbit.

So right now we're watching and waiting for the solar arrays to deploy. For me the track is a normal boring track waiting for the data relay. Here's hoping it went okay.

All of my experiences in NASA really make me realize how much most folks really don't need to know what goes on behind the curtain. It makes things a bit more boring or lose their glamor if you know how we really do things.

Update: The solar panels are confirmed opened and photos coming down! Well done!

No comments: